Accredited by the National Council for Higher Education in 2013 as an institution of higher learning, Luigi Giussani Institute of Higher Education (LGIHE) is renowned for its transformative learning approaches and provision of support services that enhance the quality of education through training, research and outreach programs. LGIHE programs are aligned for improved learning outcomes for students, increased professional development for teachers, enhanced life/entrepreneurial skills, and improved access to quality education for children. Based in Luzira, Kampala, LGIHE is currently seeking candidates to fill the following vacant position:
Position: HEAD OF DEPARTMENT – HUMANITIES
Reports to: Deputy Principal
Duty Station: Luzira, Kampala
PURPOSE OF THE JOB
To provide academic leadership to the Humanities Department and be accountable for the delivery of the Department’s rolling plan and strategy.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Head of Department – Humanities will be charged with:
- Providing academic leadership to the academic staff in the Department
- Rallying support for the department’s mission and goals
- Maintaining the academic quality and vitality of the department’s programs
- Coordinating the scheduling of courses
- Conducting annual performance evaluations of line staff
- Collaborating with other administrative and external agencies in matters relating to innovation, resource generation and other educational development initiatives
- Implementing institutional and department policies
- Serving as an advocate, both inside and outside the Institution, for the department’s perspective, concerns, and needs, including those of the students it serves
- Communicating information regarding policies, procedures, decisions, and relevant activities and events to all departmental constituencies
- Undertakes teaching, research, scholarly and/or creative activities, as appropriate to the department’s mission and allowed by the duties entailed in departmental leadership;
- Promoting quality teaching and learning
- Reviewing and recommending changes in the annual projection of workload activities
- Mentoring faculty members through the tenure and promotion process;
- Supporting and guiding the faculty in their efforts to mentor students and advance their scholarly and/or creative interests
ACADEMIC QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE, SKILLS & COMPETENCIES:
- Should have a Master of Education from a recognized university. Being a PhD candidate could be an added advantage.
- Should have at least five (5) years of proven experience in teaching, research and administration.
Interested candidates are encouraged to send applications accompanied with an updated CV and copies of relevant academic documents to the:
Human Resource Manager,
Luigi Giussani Foundation,
via email email@example.com (AS ONE ATTACHMENT of not more than 5MBs) not later than October 20, 2022.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted.